Thursday 15 November 2012

Explore. Dream. Discover.


I'm the kind of person who reads an inspiring quote, and immediately wants to change their life but doesn't know how or when. Do I start tomorrow? Today? I always talk myself out of doing it, making myself believe that I could never do it; that, that isn't who I am. After all, I have no life changing accomplishments, I haven't changed the world; I'm just another face in society. That's when I stumbled upon a quote;

“20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the one’s you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour  Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

It made me think about what I do want to do, and that's when I got my answer. I have no damned clue. At school, I was made to believe that the only way to be successful is to go to sixth form/ college and to do my A Levels; that being in a classroom is what will make you successful. That knowledge and intelligence is everything.

But that's when I wondered something entirely different, what is intelligence?

If I fail my exams, does that make me unintelligent? Surely there cannot be just one type of intelligence? Doing some digging I found that there is in fact, a minimum of 9.

  1. Nature smart
  2. Musical Smart
  3. Number/Reasoning smart
  4. Existential smart
  5. People smart
  6. Body smart
  7. Word smart
  8. Self smart
  9. Picture smart
So why then, are we being told from such an early age that to be 'smart' we must be able to achieve the highest grades? Can someone with an inquisitive mind not be as equally smart as someone who can do lightening quick mental arithmetic?


After all, without the people who wonder 'why' and 'how', we wouldn't have the 'smart' people who have the knowledge of such information.

This is my blog. My blog about my life from here on in, after making mistakes that have cost me years I'm determined to find my place and my true calling. I've quit and restarted college and different subjects and courses more times than I care to think about; each time finding that it isn't me. Each time coming to realise a fear that I've always had, a fear that I've always tried to overcome and prove wrong.

I'm intimidated by the fear of being average.

I'm hoping and praying that there are people out there who are in the same beautiful and tragic pea green boat as me, people who made a mistake or didn't try as hard as they should have done. If there is, then I urge you, stick with me. At 19 you expect that like the majority of my peers I am in my first year of Uni, but you would be wrong to assume such a thing.

This is me taking responsibility. This is me taking the reins, and not letting go. This is me, taking control of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment